Florent Lefortier answered
The skeletal system is a fascinating – and very important – part of the human body. You asked for five interesting facts, but I'll give you six, just in case you already know one of them!
- There are around 206 bones in the human body – around half of which are in your hands and feet! You’re actually born with between 300 and 350 bones, but as you grow into an adult, some of them merge together.
- The longest bone in your body is the femur, also known as the thigh bone. It’s about a quarter as tall as you are!
- You have the same amount of bones in your neck as a giraffe does in theirs – and you know how long giraffes’ necks are!
- The smallest bone in the human body is located in the ear. It’s smaller than a grain of rice, and is called the stirrup.
- The most commonly-broken bone in the human body is the collarbone, which is also known as the clavicle.
- There’s only one bone in your body that isn’t attached to any other bone. It’s called the hyoid bone, and it’s located in your throat.