Anonymous

What Negative Impact Are Humans Having On The Rainforests?

2 Answers

Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered

Negative impacts are the extinction of animal and plant life, oil extraction, mining, logging, commercial agriculture, hydroelectric projects, pollution, poaching and hunting, road construction and fires.

It is a sad fact that while any forest has positive effects on all human life, unfortunately human life on Earth has mostly negative impacts on the forests. Almost 2 billion tons of timber will be cut out of the forests on a global scale each year. These losses mostly occur in developing countries where the trees will be cleared for farming and the wood will be used for energy fuel.

Rain forests are all disappearing at a rate of 70,000 sq km or 26,923 sq miles each year. Every week, over 100 animal and plant species become extinct because of this. Most of the animal species affected will be the insects. When land no longer supports crops, it will then be abandoned and another piece of forest will be cut down in another place. Because of this, many plants and animals are losing their different habitats. The human's capacity to harvest the trees for their wood is far greater than the ability of the forest to regenerate.   

The water quality of the forests also suffers. With the trees gone, rain will no longer seep into the forest's soil and water reserves that are underground are not being replaced. This soil will then end up in rivers and streams and kill the fish. The quality of air is also being reduced by forest destruction from all the dust and soot in the air. With no trees, no oxygen is put back in the air. Gases are also building up in the Earth's atmosphere from pollution. With no trees, no carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere. This is raising the Earth's temperature, and could make further animal and plant species become extinct.

Kath Senior Profile
Kath Senior answered
Before human beings came along, tropical rain forests of all kinds covered more than eight million square miles. When we cut down trees for timber, paper pulp, and other wood products, we destroy 40 million acres of rain forest every year. By the end of the year 2000, there were less than 3.4 million square miles of rainforest left.

Less than 5 per cent of the world's tropical rain forests are in protected national parks. The other 95 per cent can be plundered for its valuable natural resources. As long as the destruction continues, one rain forest species becomes extinct every 15 minutes. If our use of the Earth's tropical rainforests does not change, they will all have disappeared by the year 2200. Approximately 25 percent of the Earth's species will already be extinct by the middle of the 21st century.

More than 5000 plant and animal species found in rainforests are used all over the world for food, medicines and other products.
thanked the writer.
ravalier ravalier
Thats sad when they cut down trees. Animals live there we should help the animals we should start a club about saving animals and there habitat.

Answer Question

Anonymous