I'd like to invent a cheap and efficient way to desalinate water.
Not only would inventing this be beneficial to all mankind; but it would also guarantee wealth, fame, and a place in the history books!
Inventing the Desalinator 3000
The reasons for inventing an efficient desalination process are simple.
The FAO (Food and Agricultural Organisation) predict that by 2025, 1.9 billion people will be living in regions of the planet with absolute water scarcity.
It's also though that an increasing number of people in the developing and developed world will find themselves suffering from water stress.
This seems like a crazy situation to be in, especially considering 72% of the earth's surface is water.
However, of that 72% - only 0.036% of that is located in rivers and lakes (where we can get to it). The rest of the freshwater on this planet is locked up in glaciers, or located deep underground.
Finding a way of desalinating the oceans would:
- Increase the amount of potable water available for human consumption
- Make farming livestock and crops cheaper, reducing the cost of food (and thus helping fight malnutrition around the world)
- Minimizing territorial disputes and wars that center around control of water resources.
- Encourage and aide biodiversity on the entire planet.
- lack of infrastructure and economic investment
- management inefficiencies