Basically, it's the process of taking genes from one thing (or using synthetic ones) and inserting them into a different organism, in order to add or eliminate certain traits. So far, it's been used to make blue roses and fish that glow in the dark, amongst other things.
Pros of Genetic Engineering
- Can be used to prevent birth defects
- Can be used to manufacture recombining growth hormone
- Can be used to make human insulin
- Can make crops resistant to pests and diseases
Cons of Genetic Engineering
- Scientists might not know where to stop - once they've perfected the art of genetic engineering, some serious ethical issues could arise. For example, what happens when parents decide they want to choose the gender of their child, or choose their appearance?
- If you've ever seen the movie Gattaca with Jude Law, you'll have some idea what society might be like if everybody could hand-pick the genes of their child.