- The major portion of this cavity is taken up by the cardiovascular system. The structures in this system are the heart, aorta, vena cava and other arteries.
- The other major organ system in this cavity is the respiratory system with the lungs, bronchi and trachea being the main organs of this system.
- One structure of the digestive system, the esophagus, the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach also passes through his cavity.
- Similarly the nerves of the nervous system like the sympathetic nerve pass through this region.
- The endocrine glands are present here and they release hormones.
- The thoracic duct is also there in region.
The structures that are a part of the thoracic cavity or the chest cavity are:
Helpful is correct, but there is also the pancreas and liver just below the thoracic cavity and the thymus gland, midway between the chest walls.