Anonymous

How Does The Energy Flow In Food Chain Of Ecosystem?

5 Answers

Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Sunlight is absorbed via the chlorophyll within leaves of plants. Photosynthesis is a biological and metabolic reaction which takes place to transfer the sunlight + carbon dioxide +water into energy and oxygen(why the plant is called Producer), eg. Phytoplankton. That energy is then used in other metabolic process, however a lot of the energy is stored(in the form of starch). Then a primary consumer, eg. Molluscs, will consume the plant and the starch/carbohydrates from the plant cells is absorbed into the animal; then the secondary consumer, eg. Sardines, will eat the primary consumer and absorb the energy(now as bonds of simple sugars, like glucose being formed into glycogen(bigger bonds thus easier to store)). This process will carry on till you reach the top consumer of the ecosystem, eg. A shark. Energy is lost frequently throughout the process due to movement and other metabolic process which require energy.The energy can be lost as light, sound, kinetic(movement) and other forms of energy. As energy is never destroyed it will always be present.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
At each level of food chain, about 90% of energy is lost in form of heat. The total energy passed from one level to the other is about one tenth of the energy received from the previous organism.
saima jabeen Profile
saima jabeen answered
Energy in the form of radiant heat and light from the sun flows through an ecosystem passing through the different tropic levels and radiates again back into outer space. The total amount of energy fixed by plant is gross primary productions. The amount of energy left after plants have met their respiratory needs is net primary production, which shows up as biomass.
About 1 % of the total energy from the sun is trapped by the producers in an eco system. The remaining 99% of solar energy is used to evaporate water, heat up soil and then lost to the outer space.
As energy is transferred from one tropic level to the next, from producer to primary consumer, between 80to 90% of the original energy is lost as heat as a by-product of respiration.
However a continuous flux of energy from the sun prevents ecosystem from running down. A pyramid of energy can be constructed showing energy transfer in a community of organisms.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Energy enter an ecosystem many in the form of sunlight which is used photosynthesis organism in the synthesis of organic matter.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
This is done by the fact that some organism feed on others some will die and some will feed on their remains

Answer Question

Anonymous