Sedimentary is the name for rocks formed by layers of material that has accumulated and hardened over time. They are formed by erosion, transport and deposition. Sedimentary rocks are created from material, including organic debris, deposited as sediment by water, wind, or ice and then compressed and cemented together by pressure. These rocks are made of other rocks that have been moved from its source and deposited in water.
It is one of the three basic categories of rocks. The other two are igneous rocks and metamorphic rocks. Sedimentary rocks have not undergone metamorphism. They often have a layered appearance. Sedimentary rocks are laid down in layers called beds or strata. They contain important information about the history of the Earth as they contain fossils of plants and animals. Crude oil is found in sedimentary rocks. Sedimentary rocks include common types such as chalk, limestone, sandstone, and shale.
Sedimentary Rocks are basically a type of rocks. These rocks are formed by deposition and consolidation of minerals and organic materials. Sedimentary rocks cover around 75-80% of the land area of the earth. The most common types of sedimentary rocks are lime stones, chalk, sandstone, breccia etc.
Following are the properties of Sedimentary Rocks:
- These rocks are formed by overburden pressure of air, ice, wind, gravity, water etc.
- These rocks are laid down in the form of layers called beds or strata.
- These rocks contain important information about the history of the Earth.
- Most of these rocks contain fossils of plants and animals.
- The difference between the successive layers of Sedimentary rocks indicate the changes in environment that occurred over time.
- These rocks cover most of the Earth's crust and surface.
The properties of sedimentary rock are as followed,
The texture so sedimentary rock are hard and quite rough as it is a load of different rocks,
The history of sedimentary rocks as sedimentary rocks fill about 75%-80% of the earth
Some sedimentary rocks are coal sandstone...