A computer-based information system (CBIS) is an information system in which the computer plays a major role. Such a system consists of the following elements:
• Hardware: The term hardware refers to machinery. This category includes the computer itself, which is often referred to as the central processing unit (CPU), and all of its support equipments. Among the support equipments are input and output devices, storage devices and communications devices.
• Software: The term software refers to computer programs and the manuals (if any) that support them. Computer programs are machine-readable instructions that direct the circuitry within the hardware parts of the CBIS to function in ways that produce useful information from data. Programs are generally stored on some input / output medium-often a disk or tape.
• Data: Data are facts that are used by program to produce useful information. Like programs, data are generally stored in machine-readable from on disk or tape until the computer needs them.
• Procedures: procedures are the policies that govern the operation of a computer system. "Procedures are to people what software is to hardware" is a common analogy that is used to illustrate the role of procedures in a CBIS.
• People: Every CBIS needs people if it is to be useful. Often the most over-looked element of the CBIS is the people: probably the components that most influence the success or failure of information system.
There are five components of a computer-based information system.
The computer based information system is developed by the people and for the people. Computer users are people who will use the computer system. The developers are the people, who will develop the system on basis of requirement.
Data is a collection of raw facts and figures. There are several ways the organize data e.g. DataBase Management System, File Management System. A computer based information system is used to process data into information.
Procedures are the actions that are used by the people to process the data into information. Operating procedures are used to operate the computer, Data entry, Communication, Maintenance, Back up and error recovery. Emergency procedures are used to trouble shoot.
Different types of Hardware used for Computer Based Information System. Input hardware (Keyboard, mouse, etc.), Processing hardware (Processor, Memory, etc), Output hardware (Monitor, printer, etc) and Storage hardware (Disk drive, etc).
Different types of software used in CBIS. Application software includes Word processing, electronic spreadsheets, graphical packages and databases. System software includes operation systems and communication software.
The components works together to form a computer based information system.
Actually, there are six parts of the CBIS:
Components of computer based information system are divided into six parts.
A computer based information system is the combination of people,hardwares,procedure,software and data which make up a computerized system that can interprete data into useful informations
Components of CBIS;
Activities, data, processing, storage, information , decision
Have to build a computer for joe