Disciplines within chemistry are traditionally grouped by the type of matter being studied or the kind of study. These include the following:
- Inorganic Chemistry, the study of inorganic matter.
- Organic Chemistry, the study of organic (carbon based) matter.
- The study surrounding substances in biological organisms.
- Physical Chemistry, the study of chemical processes.
- Analytical chemistry, the analysis of material samples in order to gain understanding of their composition and structure.
The importance of chemistry lies in developing and testing new medical treatments and medicines. Without it doctors would not understand how vitamins, supplements, and drugs can help or harm you.
Chemistry departments in hospital medical labs play an important, and valuable role. Analyzing substances such as blood and urine, for proteins, sugars and other metabolic and inorganic substances. They are able to look for problems such as diabetes, therefore offering an early prognosis and cure to potentially life threatening diseases.